Sunday, May 3, 2015

Life template

Now that I've graduated from University and am 'qualified' to take on the world, I have never felt more lost before.

Throughout my 24 years of living, there was always a set plan.

When I was brought to this world,
I needed to learn how to eat, drink, walk, talk and socialize.

When I was old enough for school,
I needed to learn how to read, write, memorize and socialize with people my age.

When I was done with pre-school, I was thrust to Primary school,
I needed to learn History, Science, Geography, Maths, English, Malay and Religious Knowledge.

Hence forth, passing my primary education with flying colors, I proceeded to do my Secondary education,
I studied the same subjects in Primary but with depth and expansive knowledge for each subject.
I even took on Additional Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

With the completion of Secondary education, I just turned 18 years old.

Barely knowing what I wanted to do in the future, I decided 'hey I should study more' so I chose to do a diploma course.

Hurray! The diploma course took me less than 2 years and once again, I was posed with the question,"What do you want to do now?"

Still at loss, I chose to do a double degree in Marketing and Communication.

Four years of hustling and jeng jeng jeng, I did it! I achieved 18 years of education!

So.. the question still poses.. What do I do in my life now? 

Obviously, at 24 and coming from an Asian background and also being a female, societal norms would be find a good partner, marry and pop babies right?

Nope. Without a set template in my life anymore, I am free to make my own choices right? No, not really still because you will face pressures from either family, friends or colleagues.

I feel that growing up is not a bad thing because whether we like it or not, we have to.

It's what we choose to do that makes our lives worth living for.

If you like to dance, go ahead.
If you like to sing, go ahead and belt your heart out.
If you want to become a globe trotter, take your passport and just do it.

Whatever you choose, you must bear the consequences and if you made an unwise decision, choose to learn from it and just move on.

I think this post is just a little reminder to myself and everyone else out there who is feeling lost at the moment to just remember that don't be so focused on what everyone's expectations are.

Focus on your own expectations and set your bars high.


No comments: