Hello!
As we are all familiar with the uprising trends of social media, we tend to lose ourselves in our virtual identity and forget about our physical presence in the 'real world'. But then again, there will be arguments about the 'real world' just being a part of a discourse that has been made up for us to live in.
However, today's topic is about shaming people on social media.
Is it the right thing to do?
Two weeks ago, I met with a rather unfortunate incident whereby I was extorted a large sum of money.
Well, let me explain first what happened.
Basically, I hit a girl (let's call her Suzuki) from behind. The damage wasn't serious, I just broke her bumper clips so her back bumper fell slightly.
Got down the car and we exchanged numbers because I agreed to pay for her damages as it was not a huge matter.
Lo Behold, Suzuki refused to come to my workshop to get her car fixed with her reasons being that she's too busy, she works everyday, she lives too far, bla bla bla.
Okay so whatever, she insisted on going to her own workshop to get it fixed. So i said you know what you get the quotation and then get back to me.
She had the nerve to give me a quotation of MYR 2600 when the damage itself didnt even cost MYR 300-500. I would know this because her quotation said she would require a new bumper, a new license plate, change her exhaust pipe cover and what not. Whatever she stated was not true as I have picture evidence of her damage and I have consulted a lot of my friends who owned car workshops, they said she was being ridiculous.
Long story short, she reported me to the police and unfortunately, because I was the one at fault, if we didnt settle it outside of the police, then the officers had no choice but to issue a fine to me and claim my insurance.
The thing with it is that, we didnt want to lose our NCB for such a ridiculous damage.
We settled with Suzuki for MYR 1500 instead.
The unhappiness of puking out such absurd amount for such a ridiculous thing made me really peeved.
I thought about shaming her on social media since I had her car number, full name, IC number and even phone number.
But then again, I didnt want to resort to such low tactics just because I was unhappy and angry that she cheated that amount of money from us.
What would have been the right thing to do?
What would it benefit me if I shamed someone on social media?
I've seen people shaming their cheating partners on Facebook. I honestly don't know whether that act is disrespectful or not because yes, I understand you are angry but is it necessary to smear someone's name all over the internet?
I mean, my thoughts on this topic is that I dont believe its right to purposefully attack another person with spiteful words and insults.
But I guess it really does depend on the context on the reason you are shaming that person.
In extreme scenarios such as robberies, road bullies, kidnappers, etc, I would fully understand the 'expose' on social media.
Well, that's my two cents on this topic.
No comments:
Post a Comment